Valentine’s Day is not just about giving candy and cards to significant others and friends, it’s about showing your love language. Which for my brother must be acts of service because it involves replacing a toilet seat.
Well to be fair, I had already called my brother to help repair a piece of furniture, and we had both forgotten it was Valentine’s Day weekend, and since he already had the tools out for the furniture, he replaced the toilet seat in my guest bathroom, too. He uses that one after all. So, this really has nothing to do with love. Well, some caring.
Brief backstory: if you will remember my IG post from July 2020, I had this as a TO-DO project. It’s not a hard thing to do, especially with newer toilets like I have, but for some reason I didn’t have the motivation…or something to get this done. It’s probably a combination of not liking germs (I’m a little germophobic, and this is the guest bathroom) and scared that my phone would fall in the toilet while I tried to get a picture.
So, after exchanging the seats because they were the wrong color, I just sat one in the guest bathroom and did nothing.
Turns out it really isn’t hard to replace the seat with the right tools. I knew this; I just didn’t want to believe it. The seat comes with all the hardware you need, and with a screwdriver and a basic adjustable wrench, you can replace your seat in 10 minutes.
The wrench is needed to hold the fasteners underneath (those white plastic parts) while you unscrew it at the top. The hardest part of the install was figuring out how to get the screw holes of the new toilet seat to lay flat so you can attach it to the toilet. Just a little spatial thinking (open the lid to work the screw assembly flat into place), and you’re ready to install. Easy peasy!
Now, I guess I’ve got to do my own toilet seat replacement. Do I love myself that much?
I should probably make a blog series out of the pieces of furniture I have customized with a new paint job lately. Actually this piece needed a little more than painting.
This was a plain box-store coffee table that I’ve had for over a decade. It’s made of particle board/pressed wood with a wood- grain patterned laminate (Remember what we said about laminate?) It had some chips in the laminate, and the seams in the top may be separating a little (they felt rough), but the biggest issue here is that my furniture in the room where this sits is a different color now. Every accent piece is lighter brown–almost beige–except this one. What a perfect time to use the leftover paint from my wall patch project to upcycle this coffee table?
1.) First I had to fix the chipped laminate on the legs. Because a) I knew that I was going to paint this and b) I was being lazy and thrifty, I used leftover joint compound from my wall patch project to do these fixes.
2.) Then, I sanded. Again, with laminate, you don’t have to sand if you have the right paint. Laminate is basically plastic, so sanding is not required. However, here because I had several marks or rough patches, I did sand. Also, taking the shine off this laminate is a good idea. New paint doesn’t like to adhere to high-gloss painted items. So I took the shine off with my 220-grit sandpaper. Always wipe off piece after sanding with a damp cloth to get all the dust and grit off.
3.) I did 2 coats of the beige paint (this is a paint WITH PRIMER) and let them dry overnight.
This stencil caught my eye in the craft store, so I thought to try this with some acrylic paint. The acrylic color is a metallic silver.
4.) I taped down my stencil and used the dry-brush technique to sponge on the design. I waited for drying time and moved to opposite sides the table after each stencil job to give each stencil even more time to dry.
5.) To protect the furniture’s new finish, I coated everything with clear semi-gloss polyurethane.
So, for all the drying time needed, this took longer than a weekend, but it was so worth it. I love the new look! What do you think?
A friend and I made a valient and successful effort getting my old couch out to the curb. But in that effort, we scratched up my walls, and in one place, made a 6″ hole in the wall.
So, I had to fix it (it was my couch and is my place, so there). It was an easy fix that due to my procrastination, I spread out over 3 weeks. Why did I take so long? Mainly, delusion. The hole had been made, I didn’t have time to watch spackling dry, and then watch paint dry, and I partially hoped it would fix itself.
But real talk, 😉 it is super easy to fix a hole in drywall. Most houses built within the last 50 or so years have walls that are made of dry wall with studs every 16 or 24 inches. With a patch, some spackling or wallboard joint compound, and matching paint, you too can repair a hole in a wall. A literal hole in the wall, that is. The dive bar around the corner is another story.
There are tons of videos on how to fix a hole in drywall. My favorite is this one from an episode of Ask This Old House:
One thing I learned from this repair is that when you apply spackling to a patch, do it in thin coats to make sanding easier. The key here is giving everything time to dry. So maybe 3 weeks wasn’t delusional after all (yeah, right).