Valentine’s Day is not just about giving candy and cards to significant others and friends, it’s about showing your love language. Which for my brother must be acts of service because it involves replacing a toilet seat.
Well to be fair, I had already called my brother to help repair a piece of furniture, and we had both forgotten it was Valentine’s Day weekend, and since he already had the tools out for the furniture, he replaced the toilet seat in my guest bathroom, too. He uses that one after all. So, this really has nothing to do with love. Well, some caring.
Brief backstory: if you will remember my IG post from July 2020, I had this as a TO-DO project. It’s not a hard thing to do, especially with newer toilets like I have, but for some reason I didn’t have the motivation…or something to get this done. It’s probably a combination of not liking germs (I’m a little germophobic, and this is the guest bathroom) and scared that my phone would fall in the toilet while I tried to get a picture.
I attempted two final projects in my home office renovation that I thought could easily be done with some items I already own. One was a clock, the other was a wastebasket. Turns out I was wrong. On both counts.
I attempted the clock a few months ago. Like, it was still hot outside. ( Of course that could have been yesterday in my neck of the woods.) After I broke down my desk for its upcycle, I had several pieces of wood left over. Because my clock was slowly disintegrating – as in every time I moved it, a piece would break off – I thought why not cut another clock out of one of these pieces?
The Clock Mistake
First problem: I used the glass front of my old clock as a template for the new one. I had a piece big enough for the pattern, but cutting it was a different story. This particleboard is seriously thick, and my jigsaw blade was not having it. Hence, the lopsided circle.
Second problem: After painting, I drilled a hole for the clock’s hands to fit through. After about 4 tries with estimating the size of the hole needed, I’d cut it too big – and as I would find out later – not centered. I threw it off to the side – paint still wet, so it stuck to some paper – and gave up on it for a few weeks.
Quarantine has been interesting for my #WeekendDIYGirl projects. I can’t help seeing all these projects I want to tackle because I am around the house all day.
This project happened because I decided to rearrange my bedroom. (I had the furniture moving stuff out from my home office reno and thought why not? *smh*) When I did, I found that I had too much furniture in my bedroom, so I moved these to my bonus room, which could use some better lighting solutions. The oak wood and beige shades were not the right look for my bonus room’s vibe, so I repainted these and got new shades for them.
I’ve reached 200 followers on Instagram! To celebrate, I am giving away a craft item from one of my favorite Etsy Crafters, Create Some Envy. You probably remember my post on her store when it was Free Spirit Crafting Co. She has expanded her offerings, so you should check them out!
In the meantime, see my post below on how to enter. Giveaway ends 10/31/20 at 11:59 PM EDT!
For the last few weeks, this #WeekendDIYGirl has been doing a few repainting and arts and crafts projects to finish up my home office. While some upsetting life stuff a few weeks ago threw a wrench into some of my plans and fizzled a little of my motivation, it also gave me more free time to finish my projects.
My color palate here for my accessories consists of white and charcoal gray. I repainted several items that I want to reintroduce into my office for functionality: